Previous Journeys

Since Bhodi and I started this blog in the middle of our journey as sailors, this site is to post pictures and memories of our previous times on tall ships. Enjoy the stroll! ~Erin

My Photo
Name:
Location: Home, Earth

Thursday, August 18, 2005


Bill of Rights
January 25th - April 6th

My recollection of times on the Bill includes hard work, fast sailing (in which I became a fan of schooners), and being with Bhodi. And, Stacey forgive me, but I have to mention this. One of my favorite times on the Bill, was when we were sailing into Morro Bay with the Lady ahead of us. Captain Christopher loves to sail as much as possible, even onto the dock, and today was a day we were pushing it, maneuvering into a narrow and shallow bay. The Lady struck sail her sails as she rounded the bend, but Bill kept on going under the jib topsail and foresail. As we passed each other, Stacey (with Lady pride) yelled out, "Don't you wish you were a brig?" And in a moment of rare brillance, I yelled back, "Don't you wish you were still sailing?" And as a show of friendship between the vessels, both crews laughed. In all, my fingers turned raw stitching her sails and there were moments of apprehension in the main saloon when the crew appraised each others' weaknesses, but I remember my time aboard her with a smile. She is still in her prime, and I hope she continues to sail for a long time. Bhodi, anything to add? :D
~ Erin

For more recent info, tune in to www.schoonerbillofrights.blogspot.com
Above : Bill of Rights photo by Cheryl Jones



Bill and Lady passing Morro Rock













After riding the main gaff to free the topsail sheet














The awnsail, or mini-sail, or whatever we ended up calling it. As you can see, our first attempt in rigging it was slightly embarrasing.














The crews of the Lady Washington, Bill of Rights, and Lynx in Sausalito, CA.












Beautiful shot of the Lady and Bill outside of Morro Bay (kudos to Kim Carver for the shot)













Happy Sweet Sixteen Lady!
Jim, Jess, and I fire cupcakes at the nearby Lady, much to the enjoyment of a hungry crew.









The SF transit crew as we near the Golden Gate.
(Photo by Kim Carver)













A brief stepback in time to the SF transit. Elf, Cappy, and young Dave on the helm.










Yes, it rained a lot during those months on the the Bill. I thought I would never dry out.











Elf, Bhodi, and Dave constrain that wiley staysail boom.












A beautiful day near Morro Bay.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home